Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it.
Following the recent Senedd elections and forming of a new Welsh Government, this is an exciting time to join the Policy and Campaigns team at Crisis. The team works across GB and in each of the three nations to ensure individual policy solutions and plans to end homelessness are adopted and delivered by governments and public services.
About the role
As Senior Policy and Public Affairs Officer for Wales you will help Crisis increase the scope and scale of policy influencing work in Wales, leading our work to build Crisis’ influence in the Senedd and supporting the delivery of a broader external affairs strategy for Wales.
Our policy and external affairs work currently includes working to deliver the recommendations of the Homelessness Action Group, which was chaired by Crisis’ Chief Executive, an ongoing campaign to improve homelessness support, and work to maximise the impact of GB-wide projects in Wales.
You’ll work closely with a range of different people, including policymakers and politicians, Crisis client services staff and members (service users), and organisations interested in housing and ending homelessness.
You will have:
- An in-depth interest and understanding of homelessness and related policy issues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with an ability to build networks and use a range of approaches to work effectively with different audiences.
- Understanding of political and policy-making processes, particularly in Wales, and how to use them to successfully influence policy at national, local and political levels.
- A commitment to equality and social inclusion with the ability to work both on your own initiative and as part of a team.
We want Crisis to be an inclusive employer which then reflects our members and the communities we work in. We want to offer opportunities to everyone regardless of their gender, ethnicity, disability, religion, sexual orientation or age. We particularly welcome applications from people with lived experience of homelessness.
Working at Crisis
As a member of the team you will have access to a wide range of employee benefits including:
- Interest free loans to purchase a train season ticket or a bike or for a deposit to secure a tenancy
- Mandatory pension scheme, with an employer contribution of 8.5%
- 25 days’ annual leave which increases with service to 28 days
Alongside our excellent staff benefits, we will support your ongoing development to build your skills, experience and career.
When you join us you will have the opportunity to join our staff diversity networks, which aim to champion issues across the organisation, enable staff to be their authentic and best selves and contribute to making Crisis a truly diverse organisation.
We have 5 staff diversity networks which include Black, Asian and Ethnic people, LGBTQ+ people, those with Lived Experience of Homelessness, Women at Crisis and Disability Awareness.
How to apply
If this sound likes the opportunity for you, please click on the 'Apply for Job' button below.
Closing date: Sunday 25th July 2021 (at 23:59)
Interviews will be held on Thursday 12th August or Friday 13th August by Zoom
We welcome applications from people who identify as neuro diverse and want our recruitment process to be as accessible as possible. If you need us to make an adjustment or provide additional support as you apply for a role, please email email@example.com and our Recruitment team will contact you to discuss how we can help.
For more information about our work please visit:
To see our work in action please visit:
Registered Charity Numbers: E&W1082947, SC040094